Baked Oysters with Garlic and Herb Butter
These easy, baked oysters are perfect for a summertime party or a fancy dinner at home. Flavored with a buttery herb and garlic topping, Mr. Stick's makes bringing this dish to life even easier. A little lemon juice adds zing to the oysters, and panko breadcrumbs make the topping extra crunchy.
What do I need to make these Butter and Herb oysters?
The ingredient list is short with the stars of the dish being the oysters and herb butter. You can customize the seasoning and spices in these according to your taste. Here is what you will need:
- Fresh oysters – Select 12-14 average sized oysters, or 16-20 small oysters. Make sure the oysters are completely closed and that there are no cracks in the shells. Try to buy them the day you plan to use them, so you don’t have to store live oysters. Then give them a quick rinse and scrub before shucking.
- Panko bread crumbs - for that delicious outer layer - any bread crumbs will do though.
- Mr. Stick's Herb and Garlic Compound Butter: Click here for the recipe! You can use salted or unsalted and just add a bit of salt to the compound butter to taste. You can also use a butter alternative.
- OPTIONAL: Lemon zest and wedges for serving
- OPTIONAL: Hot sauce - for that spicy kick. Our favorite is Woos! Ultimate Hot Sauce
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Add a layer of rock salt to a rimmed baking sheet or substitute dry, uncooked rice or a cooling rack that fits into the baking sheet which will help keep oyster shells stable.
- Shuck oysters: Run the knife along the bottom of the inside of the shell to loosen the oyster. Discard the top shells and arrange the oysters with their liquid in the prepared baking sheet.
- Make your Mr. Stick's Herb and Garlic Compound Butter
- Heat a medium pan over medium heat, add 4 tablespoons of butter, the panko breadcrumbs, and 1 tsp of Mr. Stick's Steakhouse Seasoning. Cook, stirring often until crispy and golden brown, 3–4 minutes.
- Top each oyster with a teaspoon of the compound butter mixture and then sprinkle each one generously with the buttered panko crumbs.
- Bake the oysters in the preheated oven for about 8 to 10 minutes, or until the oysters are cooked through and the topping is golden brown.
- Sprinkle with fresh chopped parsley and serve with lemon wedges and extra hot sauce.
- When purchasing any seafood, shellfish especially, buy from a reputable food source. If the oysters are open prior to opening before shucking, discard them. When in doubt about cleaning or preparing, ask the knowledgeable staff behind the fish counter.
- Grilling Instructions: Preheat grill to 450°F. Make your compound butter and your breadcrumb topping. Suck oysters and top with both the butter and breadcrumbs. Arrange oysters in a single layer on the grill. Spoon 2 tsp. butter mixture into each oyster; grill, uncovered, 7 minutes or until edges curl. Broiling Instructions: Preheat broiler with oven rack 3 inches from heat. Prepare recipe as directed, placing oysters in a single layer in a jelly-roll pan. Broil for 4 minutes or until edges curl and butter drips over the shell.